Integrated Cancer Program
UCLA Institute of Urologic Oncology – Integrated Cancer Program
UCLA Institute of Urologic Oncology
The UCLA Institute of Urologic Oncology (the "IUO") was established as an interdisciplinary collaboration, bringing together world-renown physicians and scientists from the UCLA Departments of Urologic Oncology, Medical Oncology, Radiation Oncology and Pathology, to work together as a team to personalize patient care and to develop state-of-the-art technologies and revolutionary treatments for kidney, prostate, bladder and testicular cancers.
About the Institute of Urologic Oncology – Integrated Cancer Program:
The Institute of Urologic Oncology – Integrated Care Program provides newly diagnosed urologic oncology patients the opportunity to meet with renowned cancer specialists at UCLA – in the fields of Urologic Surgical Oncology and Radiation Oncology - on the same day in the same clinic. UCLA IUO’S patient-centered experience affords patients multiple consults on the same day, allowing for various perspectives on diagnosis and state-of-the-art treatments to be easily gained. The IUO Integrated Cancer Program has launched with a focus on men with newly diagnosed prostate cancer.
Men with newly diagnosed localized prostate cancer face several treatment options with varying risk and side effect profiles, but similar survival rates. Traditionally, men would seek separate opinions from urologists, radiation oncologists, or internal medicine physicians, and might get conflicting advice. Our multidisciplinary approach avoids the need for multiple physician visits over an extended period of time, allowing a patient to explore all options in one setting, and ensuring optimal management of all patients’ care and treatment.
Participation in the UCLA IUO – Integrated Cancer Program includes:
- Access to top specialists in the fields of Urology, Radiation Oncology, Radiology and Pathology
- Access to state-of-the-art treatment and cutting-edge clinical trials
- Evaluation of urologic medical records by field experts
- Identification of additional lab testing/diagnostic imaging that could further personalize treatment
- One-on-one discussion to review history, treatment options and address questions
- After visit report of treatment recommendations and individual treatment plan
- Educational materials for the patient and family
- Program Specialist to guide you in making follow-up appointments and answer questions
The UCLA IUO – Integrated Cancer Program is For You, if You:
- Are considering treatment at the UCLA Health System
- Are overwhelmed by all the treatment choices
- Want a comprehensive patient evaluation and discussion of all the latest treatment options, including clinical trials
- Want guidance and evaluation on the best treatment choice
- Have recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer
- Localized prostate cancer diagnosis (has not spread to other parts of the body)
- No prior primary cancer treatment (no radiation therapy or surgery)
What We Need Before Your Visit:
- Pathology slides and report(s)
- Imaging study CDs and report(s), such as CT, MRI, Ultrasounds, Bone Scans
- Recent laboratory results – PSA history
- Recent Urologic consultation notes
The expert team at the UCLA Institute of Urologic Oncology – Integrated Cancer Program in Los Angeles is committed to a single day, small group, multidisciplinary urologic cancer patient evaluation. Patients are seen in the Clark Urology Center or in the IUO’s clinic in the Edie & Lew Wasserman Building at UCLA. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
If you would like to schedule an appointment of have any questions about the Institute of Urologic Oncology – Integrated Cancer Program, please contact our New Patient Appointment Line at (310) 206-1128.